Disgaea (Makai Senki Disgaea) is a series of tactical role-playing video games created and developed by Nippon Ichi, even though it is not as widespread as other tactical RPGs, Disgaea series still remains as one of Nippon Ichi’s most beloved franchises.
The Disgaea games take place in a fictional universe called the Netherworld and best known for the complex combat strategy, extremely high maximum stats and wacky comedic dialogue. In this modern, smartphone-ridden age, Nippon Ichi Software finally brings Disgaea to mobile platform.
Disgaea RPG will be released on March 19 for Android and iOS as a free-to-play game with optional in-app micro-transactions. Dubbed as “Disgaea RPG”, this mobile game will have its own original storyline. So far, confirmed characters are: Laharl, Etna and Flonne from the original Disgaea, Adell and Rozalin from Disgaea 2, Mao and Raspberyl from Disgaea 3, Valvatorez and Artina from Disgaea 4, Killia and Seraphina from Disgaea 5 and of course, the beloved Prinnies!
Here is an overview of Disgaea RPG, via its official website:
- The Protagonists and Heroines of the Series Appear En Masse – The protagonists and heroines of the Disgaea series all appear together in one game in an original story about becoming the “Ultimate Overlord.” The whimsical and exciting activities of the Takehito Harada-designed characters will unfold in the Netherworld, where the values of good and evil are reversed. The soundtrack by Tenpei Sato will further enliven the game world.
- A Command-Based Battle System – The battle system of Disgaea RPG is a command-based battle system optimized for smartphones. From cooperative attacks with party members to stacking tower attacks, Disgaea RPG offers strategic battles. You can even play while on the go or in short bursts! There is also an auto-play function that runs at maximum four-times normal speed, allowing you to play anywhere, anytime.
- Level 9,999 and Billions of Damage – Level-up your characters to a maximum level of 9,999. And by learning skills and magic, you can even deal damage in the billions.
- Strengthen Your Favorite Characters – Disgaea RPG offers various content unique to Disgaea through which you can gradually strengthen your favorite characters, such as the “Dark Assembly” (unlock new content), the “Item World” (upgrade weapons), and the “Overlord’s Tower” (battle your way up a tall tower).
- “Rewatch” feature – experience the nostalgic main stories of Disgaea series in recap format!
The most significant change is the gameplay mechanism, as Disgaea for mobile will use a combat system called “semi-command-based” to ease gameplay on touch screen devices. Not to worry though, as Nippon Ichi Software will strive to preserve the charm of Disgaea series.